Home > Domestic > ICG Super League Round 2 Wrap Up

ICG Super League Round 2 Wrap Up

The Carnieges Kowloon Tigers continued their winning streak against the Valley Broncos with a big 76-0 win, whilst the HKS Reivers and Wanchai Warriors fought to a high scoring 30-30 draw in the monsoon rain in Round 2 of the ICG Super League.

The Carnieges Kowloon Tigers secured their spot in the Grand Final with another resounding victory, with the superb Matty Keay leading the way with 4 tries and some very strong running, beating defenders with ease. Much like their first game, the Tigers superior quality and strength took them through the game with relative ease, however it was not without the Broncos being competitive in patches where they managed to complete their sets and work their way into the opposition 20m, only for a knock on to deny them their best scoring opportunity. Other try scorers were Frank Cartwright and Josh Hrstich who both grabbed hat-tricks, Ben Madgewick grabbed a brace, and Ryan Campbell and Lee Griffiths grabbed one each.

The other game of the round saw the most competitive match up of the tournament so far, with the HKS Reivers and Wanchai Warriors battling it out to a draw. The game, despite being played in torrential downpour, was an incredibly tight contest where the lead changed hands several times during the game.

The Warriors started off the stronger of the two, scoring two tries through Tom Powell and Itchy Nakashim. Hooker Powell in particular was particularly instrumental with ball in hand and directed his team very well throughout the game and finished the game with a hat-trick of tries. However, just as Reivers looked to be facing a tough evening in the rain, they fought their way back into the game and into the ascendancy, with stand-off Lewis Jones ably leading the way with two tries. Captain Jacob Weeks and Flynn Kennedy also scored as Reivers took the lead going into half time.

It was the Warriors who came out the second half fighting and started to really impose themselves up front as the rain was beginning to flood the pitch. Warriors second row Jack Muir made some very impressive carries in the rain gaining plenty of metres whilst stand-off Jason Fairleigh’s offload in the tackle was really starting to trouble the Reivers defense. By the end of the third quarter, the Warriors had retaken the lead through tries from Fairleigh, Dan Henry and another two from Powell. Going into the last quarter two scores down, the Reivers found something extra left in them and against a tiring Warriors defense, Archie Kay scored from a great outside break and Ryan Moralee scored to bring the game to 30-30.

Both the Reivers and Warriors are still in contention for a spot in the Grand Final going into the last round of regular matches in the ICG Super League where the Reivers play the Tigers and the Warriors are up against the Broncos. The Warriors need to win against the Broncos and hope the Reivers lose against the Tigers, at which point the table will be decided on points difference, whereas a Reivers win or draw will ensure their safe passage to the Grand Final.

However, the ICG Super League will be temporarily on hold as all eyes turn to the HKRL Battle of Origin this coming Saturday 24th June. The game will be a representative game that will see the best players from the ICG Super League battle it out in a one-off game against one another, with one side representing the Northern Hemisphere taking on another side representing the Southern Hemisphere. Kick off will be at King’s Park, 7.30pm.

You may also like
2019 HKRL 9s Announced
Pacific Toa crowned HKRL Super League 2018 Champions
Carnegies Kowloon Tigers inaugural champions of the ICG Super League 2017
Wanchai Warriors beat Valley Broncos, to meet Kowloon Tigers in ICG Super League final